Killingly Historical Society

Quarries in Killingly

Have you ever wondered where all the huge stones used in many of the buildings of Killingly and surrounding areas were obtained? Can you picture how these enormous pieces of rock were transported from the quarries to the building sites? Following is some information about three of the quarries in Killingly.

EAST KILLINGLY:

Joseph Oatley of East Killingly has been setting a substantial curbing of granite from his quarry round the lot of Ananias Austin in our village [Dayville] cemetery. Mr. Oatley is to furnish the granite for the window sills and threshholds to our new school house, on which work is progressing. Windham County Transcript, June 24, 1875

The Quinebaug Company are using about one thousand tons of stoneabout their dam and canal, some single ones weighing 6000 pounds. Mr. Joseph Oatley furnished them from a ledge in East Killingly. Windham County Transcript, June 29, 1876

We have been on the point several times of saying a good word for the excellent curbing that Mr. Joseph Oatley has brought to our village the present season from his quarryat East Killingly. He has furnished nearly if not all there is in the village. He is now getting out a fine stone watering trough to be placed at the corner of Main and Reynolds streets. Windham County Transcript, August 9, 1877

STEARNS’ HILL:

Teams are carting stone from the ledge on Stearns’ Hill for the foundation of the addition to the Quinebaug Mill. Windham County Transcript, January 22, 1880

BREAKNECK HILL:

The bounds of Lot Mitchell’s land on Breakneck Hill, Killingly, indicate that it contained many ledges. In later years some of these would be quarried. The building of the mills created a demand for stone resulting in the quarrying activity. The earliest quarry in the area was on the east side of present day Quarry Road. It began activity circa 1825. The rights to quarry in that area were purchased from Isaac Ballard, John Smith, Samuel Atwell Wilson and Aaron Wilson all of Killingly by Daniel Tyler of Brooklyn along with David Bolles of Providence, RI in October 1827. The leases set the price of a load of stone between 25 cents and 50 cents. A load was a quantity of stone of suitable size and weight to be drawn by six oxen. Woodhill Book byCharles & Margaret Weaver Research, Killingly Land Records